Helena Wayne travels back in time and meets younger versions of her respective family.
Here it is everyone! For Happy Beer Day, I give you the review for the issue of Batman Family that showed Helena Wayne infamously kissing the Earth-1 version of her father in a way that would make you look twice at the screen to make sure you weren’t too drunk at first glance.
Fortunately, however, that is not the focus of the story. The bulk of the issue deals with:
- Helena Wayne’s first meeting with the Earth-1 versions of both her mother and father.
- Helena Wayne’s first meeting with the Earth-1 version of Dick Grayson.
- A Birds of Prey-style team-up between Batgirl, Batwoman, and Huntress.
- There’s even a team-up between Poison Ivy, Catwoman, and Madame Zodiac, who are the three women these three heroines take on. (Do I even need to specify which one Huntress takes on?)
- The overall theme of this issue is luck (which is right up there with the theme of today’s holiday). ;)
It’s an all-in-all great story to pick up if you want to see how the initial meeting between Helena Wayne and the Earth-1 version of her family was handled before the clusterfuck that is the current DC universe. It’s also a great story to reference if you want to compare how they handle her meeting the Earth-1 Batfamily in the New 52 as opposed to the pre-Crisis continuity.
Chances are we won’t be seeing the current Helena Wayne awkwardly kissing the Earth-1 Bruce.
That being said, I hope you all have had a great St. Patty’s Day. :)
Batman Incorporated #4
This is 'El Tango de la Muerte.'
/Fixed that for you Grant Morrison.
Someone on ComicVine has put together an incomplete list (cause surely listing them all would cause the internet to break)! DC heroines, anti-heroines, villains who have made the list include:
- Selina Kyle (the first most obvious)
- Talia Al Ghul (the second most obvious)
- Diana of Themyscira (the third most obvious)
- Lois Lane (not even Batman can resist the awesomeness of Lois)
- Helena Wayne (yes, THE Earth-2 Huntress)
- Kathy Kane (the original Batwoman)
- Barbara Gordon
- Dinah Drake (Mama Canary)
- Dinah Laurel Lance (Daughter Canary)
- Harley Quinn
- Cheetah (he has a thing for cat women…)
- Pamela Isley
- Madame Zodiac
- Zatanna Zatara
Bruce’s mouth knows no bounds.
Oh yes. I went there.
Kathy: So when Batman came and told me who Helena was—I figured the person to talk to would be you, Babs! After all, both of you have fathers who are Gotham City Police Commissioners.
Barbara: Mmmm—except my dad never went swinging around Gotham in long underwear!
*Is now imagining Jim Gordon swinging around Gotham in long underwear.*
Epic goodness would be had.
Barbara: So what can I tell you Helena? That being a super-heroine in a super-hero’s world can be rewarding? Or what kind of Bat-makeup I use when I’m on a big case?
Helena: I get the feeling you’re laughing at me!
Helena Wayne’s first encounter with Barbara Gordon pre-Crisis.
Fast forward to 30 years later and a meet up between Helena and Barbara would probably start with a fist fight given where these two women stand on their definition of ‘justice.’
(Given how Dinah Drake and Barbara met in the New DCU in Birds of Prey #0, me thinks I wouldn’t be too far off the mark there).