Here it is everyone! For Happy Beer Day, I give you the review for the issue of Batman Family that showed Helena Wayne infamously kissing the Earth-1 version of her father in a way that would make you look twice at the screen to make sure you weren’t too drunk at first glance.
Fortunately, however, that is not the focus of the story. The bulk of the issue deals with:
- Helena Wayne’s first meeting with the Earth-1 versions of both her mother and father.
- Helena Wayne’s first meeting with the Earth-1 version of Dick Grayson.
- A Birds of Prey-style team-up between Batgirl, Batwoman, and Huntress.
- There’s even a team-up between Poison Ivy, Catwoman, and Madame Zodiac, who are the three women these three heroines take on. (Do I even need to specify which one Huntress takes on?)
- The overall theme of this issue is luck (which is right up there with the theme of today’s holiday). ;)
It’s an all-in-all great story to pick up if you want to see how the initial meeting between Helena Wayne and the Earth-1 version of her family was handled before the clusterfuck that is the current DC universe. It’s also a great story to reference if you want to compare how they handle her meeting the Earth-1 Batfamily in the New 52 as opposed to the pre-Crisis continuity.
Chances are we won’t be seeing the current Helena Wayne awkwardly kissing the Earth-1 Bruce.
That being said, I hope you all have had a great St. Patty’s Day. :)
Batman Incorporated #4
This is ‘El Tango de la Muerte.’
/Fixed that for you Grant Morrison.
I’ve determined that these two need to team-up.
The Better Half. by John Yandall
I assume the one in the middle is The Huntress. I can’t tell if it’s Bertinelli or Wayne, but I’ll reblog it on the perchance that it’s Bertinelli.
Judging by the costume itself and the women she’s surrounded by (all of them Earth-1 characters), I’m pretty sure it’s Bertinelli.
While the Bat-mask resembles the pre-Crisis one Helena Wayne wore, she was not completely covered like she is here, nor did she at any point wear black except in the Superman/Batman #27 story. Also, Wayne’s pre-Crisis boots and gloves are full length, and the ones that she’s wearing here are mid-length, which is very characteristic of Bertinelli.
There’s also the fact that Helena Bertinelli is still easily the more recognisable Huntress to most fans, whereas Helena Wayne is still a very new character to these fans. As such there is far more fanart out there of Helena B than there is of Helena W.
Hope that helps.
Someone on ComicVine has put together an incomplete list (cause surely listing them all would cause the internet to break)! DC heroines, anti-heroines, villains who have made the list include:
- Selina Kyle (the first most obvious)
- Talia Al Ghul (the second most obvious)
- Diana of Themyscira (the third most obvious)
- Lois Lane (not even Batman can resist the awesomeness of Lois)
- Helena Wayne (yes, THE Earth-2 Huntress)
- Kathy Kane (the original Batwoman)
- Barbara Gordon
- Dinah Drake (Mama Canary)
- Dinah Laurel Lance (Daughter Canary)
- Harley Quinn
- Cheetah (he has a thing for cat women…)
- Pamela Isley
- Madame Zodiac
- Zatanna Zatara
Bruce’s mouth knows no bounds.
Oh yes. I went there.
Kathy: So when Batman came and told me who Helena was—I figured the person to talk to would be you, Babs! After all, both of you have fathers who are Gotham City Police Commissioners.
Barbara: Mmmm—except my dad never went swinging around Gotham in long underwear!
*Is now imagining Jim Gordon swinging around Gotham in long underwear.*
Epic goodness would be had.
Barbara: So what can I tell you Helena? That being a super-heroine in a super-hero’s world can be rewarding? Or what kind of Bat-makeup I use when I’m on a big case?
Helena: I get the feeling you’re laughing at me!
Helena Wayne’s first encounter with Barbara Gordon pre-Crisis.
Fast forward to 30 years later and a meet up between Helena and Barbara would probably start with a fist fight given where these two women stand on their definition of ‘justice.’
(Given how Dinah Drake and Barbara met in the New DCU in Birds of Prey #0, me thinks I wouldn’t be too far off the mark there).